If you have tried to use your supermarket gift card and found that it has already been fully or partially spent, then please refer to the below information for help.
There are generally 4 broad possibilities for why this might happen, and it needs a little careful detective work to figure out the cause and therefore how to rectify the problem.
- You are trying to use a voucher you have previously spent. Please check to ensure you are using the most recent link you have been sent and that the sender has not accidentally sent you the same voucher link twice.
- A technical mix-up where the issuer has inadvertently sent the same link to more than one person.
- A technical mix-up by the supermarket's card processing system.
- Fraudulent activity wherein the voucher was issued correctly and with the correct balance, but somehow fell into the wrong hands and they spent some or all of it.
What needs to be done?
In every reported case of this, we need to investigate all possibilities. The technical possibilities we can look into, but we'd ask for your help please with anything related to activity on the voucher, because you're the person who has been in possession of the voucher most recently and you know the history of where you might have spent it (or importantly, not spent it).
Steps to take
- Please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide any details that you have, along with the affected voucher link/s. Please give us your permission to perform the following actions.
- We will verify with the supermarket everything we are able to learn about the balance on the card - ideally you can first check this too (see useful information below for details of how to check the balance and how to contact each supermarket regarding gift cards). Where possible, we'll obtain a history of when and where any expenditures were made.
- We'll check with the sender how the link was sent out, whether it was ever sent out to an email address or phone number other than yours, or whether there was any other way that it might have fallen into the wrong hands.
- We will perform some technical checks to ascertain whether there were any technical causes.
In our experience, it's overwhelmingly much more likely to relate to something human than something technical, so we try to rule this out first.
If it does turn out to be technical, we will of course do everything we can to help. Please do bear in mind though that we do not have access to the supermarket's internal voucher processing systems so you may have to contact their customer services department directly. We will always be happy to provide whatever information we can to assist.
Some helpful info
How do I check the balance?
|Brand||Can I check my balance?|
|Aldi||By visiting the checkout in-store or for queries email email@example.com|
|Asda||Yes, by going here|
|Iceland||Yes, by going here|
|M&S||Yes, by going here|
|McColl's||By visiting the till in-store|
|Morrisons||Yes, by calling 0344 381 9461|
|Sainsbury's||If your physical Gift Card has a QR code on the back of the card., you can scan this QR code with a smart phone device and follow the link provided to confirm your current card balance and expiry date of your card.
You can check the balance of a Gift Card or eGift Card via our automated phone line on 0800 636262 you will need the 19-digit card number and PIN for this process.
You can also ask a store colleague at the till to complete a balance check. Note, we will also provide you with a receipt after each transaction to confirm the balance.
|Tesco||Yes, either at any Tesco store or by calling 03450 757 757|
|Waitrose||Yes, by going here|
How do I report problems and get more information?
|Brand||Who to contact if there's a problem|
|Asda||Call 0800 519 33 33
|Iceland||Call 0344 375 0739
|Morrisons||Call 0344 3815042
|Sainsbury's||Contact customer services on 0800 63 62 62|
|Tesco||Contact Tesco Customer Services on 0800 50 55 55|
|Waitrose||03456 049 049|